However after some research on the net, I found two other ways to the maps on my device:
Buy & Download
- Download MapSource from Garmin and then create a map-file named GMAPPROM.IMG containing the maps needed.
- Download or buy an unlocked map IMG.
Upload to GPS Device
After creating or buying the map update, then the following procedure can be used to transfer the maps to the device
- GMAPPROM.IMG file to the Garmin folder on the Garmin device.
- If you are using a SD or SDHC card, then remember to format it FAT or FAT32.
- Rename GMAPPROM.IMG to GMAPSUPP.IMG.
- Copy GMAPSUPP.IMG to a folder named Garmin on the SD or SDHC card.
- Remember to copy the map unlock / key files as well. (not needed for an unlocked map IMG)