What is Spotify?
Spotify is an ingenious solution to stream music, so it would be great if it could be used with the Squeezebox - and it is actually possible using the Spotify Premium Plugin for Squeezebox Server. Spotify offers you legal and free access to a huge library of music. All you need to do is create an account and download our streaming music player.
- For Spotify users with a Premium account
- Plays back 320k or 160k streams
- Requires a running Squeezebox Server (Linux, Windows or Mac, could be cloud-based e.g. at Amazon EC2)
- Will play back via Squeezebox 2 and later hardware players only
The Install Procedure
- Make sure you have a running >7.5.x Squeezebox server
- Select the Spotify plugin from the recommended 3rd party plugin list and then click apply as per normal plugin installation
- Ensure the server has restarted
- Go to the Plugin, Settings page for "Spotify" either via the advanced menu or from the plugin page
- Read and agree the Spotify restrictions, then add your username and password to the settings page.
- If you refresh the settings page a couple of times you should see that a "helper app" is running and it is logged into Spotify. If not there may be an error to help...
- Go to the "radio" menu on one of your hardware players and you should be able to browse and play tracks from Spotify.
Spotify / Linux Adjustment
The binary files included in the plugin include the Spotify library libspotify and a closed source application built around this. This is 32-bit only so on 64-bit linux you'll need ia32-libs installed. For both 32-bit and 64-bit machines you will need libFLAC.so.8 installed (usually in flac or libflac packages of your distro) and libogg.so.0 (usually in libogg packages of your distro).
I experienced a few problems on Debian lenny, so I copied the shared objects from my Ubuntu). Using ldd to reveal any problems:
x2q@x2q:/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotify/Bin/i386-linux$ ldd spotifyd linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000) libspotify.so.4 => /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotify/Bin/i386-linux/libspotify.so.4 (0xf7cc5000) libFLAC.so.8 => /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotify/Bin/i386-linux/libFLAC.so.8 (0xf7c75000) libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7b1b000) librt.so.1 => /lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf7b11000) libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7aed000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7ad6000) libogg.so.0 => /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotify/Bin/i386-linux/libogg.so.0 (0xf7acf000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7fdf000)